- Everyone involved in SCBWI Iowa is a volunteer, including the regional team.
- Attendees like desserts at conferences.
- No matter what meal you serve, someone will hate it. Especially if it’s salmon.
- Many SCBWI members don’t know all the perks offered to them, especially, The Book: The Essential Guide for Publishing for Children. Check it out at SCBWI.org.
- Editors and agents are regular people. They want to find great books that sell so they can keep their jobs.
- People from the East and West Coasts don’t know about Scotcharoos, cheese curds, and the joy of dipping everything in Ranch dressing.
- Creative folk like one-day genre specific conferences, three-day conferences, multi-state conferences, retreats, and free events. A variety keeps everyone happy.
- Nonfiction writers, graphic novelists, picture book writers, illustrators, MG/YA authors, and board book creators all want to be represented at conferences.
- SCBWI members are a lot of fun at parties.
- And the number one thing I’ve learned being the RA is that SCBWI Iowa members are the kindest, most compassionate, and creative people in the world. You guys rock!
Thank you to everyone who shows up at our free monthly meet-ups, attends conferences and retreats, and offers to volunteer. This organization could not function without each and every one of you.
–From Eileen Boggess, Regional Advisor from SCBWI-Iowa