I had the pleasure of attending the DSM Book Festival this weekend and got to hear from so many inspiring authors. Our very own SCBWI published authors made up the Writing for Children panel. Including: Cindy Chambers Johnson, Katie Kennedy, Jenny Moyer, and Rebecca Janni.
I compiled all the major tips the authors had to say into a list of the top 30 for you to look at. The top 10 being:
- 1. You must read, read, read!
- 2. There will be lots of books that won’t sell (At least not right away). Keep writing!
- 3. Everyone’s process is different. Don’t worry!
- 4. Separate the writer from the person who wants to be published.
- 5. Be patient and take your time.
- 6. Write what you love and don’t focus on trends.
- 7. Don’t tell anyone your great ideas. It can stifle your drive and creativity!
- 8. Know your reader and your market.
- 9. Your mom and BFF are NOT honest feedback. Get a critique group!
- 10. Make connections and put your work out there.
Thank you so much to our panelists for offering your stories and insight! If you want to read my full list of publishing tips from the conference, check out the article here: https://journeytokidlit.com/publishing-tips-from-authors-dsm-book-festival/
As always, happy writing!
Contributor- Brooke Van Sickle- Webmaster, SCBWI-Iowa